Last updated: 4th October, 2023
1. Key Information
Length: Varies from 10 seconds to 2 minutes (default is 20-40 seconds) per participant.
Cost: Minimal, requires preparation of prompts, flipchart, and potentially AV equipment.
Target Audience: University students, small to medium-sized group events, workshops, fellowships, and conferences.
2. Important considerations
- Engages speakers and audience members actively in discussions.
- Allows participants to share key ideas, changed viewpoints, and neglected concepts.
- Provides a structured platform for exploring EA-related topics and concepts.
- Enables speakers to receive feedback on their ideas and presentations.
Things to consider:
- The short time frame may restrict the in-depth exploration of ideas.
- Some participants might find it challenging to speak up in a short time frame.
- Prompts: Create prompts for lightning talk topics
- Prep: Set up Flipchart with prompts
- Tech (optional): Potentially provide AV equipment for larger events.
4. Event Structure
Configuration: Have participants stand in a circle.
Instructions: Let participants know that they have 10 seconds to 2 minutes (default is 20-40 seconds) to share a key idea they've been contemplating
Prompts: Refer participants to lightning talk prompts, such as changed viewpoints, neglected ideas, useful concepts, etc.
Time: Time each participant and let them know before they go over the allotted time.
5. Further resources
Other links to help run lightning talks!
- Lightning Talks (Vaidehi Agarwalla)