Last updated: 4th October, 2023
1. Key Information
Length: The session should last 1-2 hours.
Cost: Minimal cost.
Target Audience: Individuals seeking career planning guidance and alignment with effective altruism principles; those who have already completed the equivalent to an introduction fellowship.
2. Important considerations
- There is a very tangible goal that is likely to be achieved during the session: a submitted application for 80k advising.
- Participants may have the opportunity to speak to someone very knowledgable about EA ideas who can then refer them to further resources tailored to them.
Things to consider:
- If participants are unsuccessful this may be de-motivating.
- There is little room for group discussion and engagement.
- People are able to apply without attending the session, so organisation of the event may be not worth the time. However, we think it can be useful to run a formal ‘session’ for this as it provides accountability and almost ‘ensures’ people will submit their application in a given timeframe.
Very little preparation is required for this session. Simply ensure your members have a computer and have good knowledge of EA principles, at least equivalent to having completed an introductory fellowship.
4. Event Structure
- Introduction (5 minutes)
- Welcome note by the society president or representative
- Brief introduction to Effective Altruism and its principles
- Overview of the 80,000 Hours initiative and the importance of high impact careers
- Presentation or video on the value and impact of the 80,000 Hours coaching
- Success stories or testimonials from individuals who've benefited from the coaching
- Explaining the purpose of the application
- Outlining the areas covered in the application
- Mentioning the expected duration (45 minutes) and the importance of thoughtful and honest responses
- Students can ask clarifying questions about the application or about the 80,000 Hours initiative
- Representatives or previous beneficiaries can help answer questions
- Students begin filling out the application
- Society members or representatives should be available to answer any questions or provide clarifications during this period
- If possible, ensure a quiet environment for focused work
- Thank attendees for their time and effort
- Explain the next steps in the process (e.g., when they can expect to hear back, how selections will be made, etc.)
- Provide attendees with a short feedback form or digital survey to understand their experience, gather suggestions, and continuously improve future session
5. Further resources
Go to this form here!